The days are growing colder, and winter is around the corner. If your jobsite is staying active this winter, it’s important to keep cold weather construction safety in mind. At The Safety Group, we offer construction safety consulting and training services to help keep all projects as safe as possible. Our construction safety experts share construction safety tips for colder weather. If your site is continuing during the winter, follow these tips for cold weather construction safety.
Winter Construction Safety Tips
Snow isn’t the only danger during wintertime construction. Cold temperatures, dehydration, and surface hazards are some of the biggest dangers to any winter construction jobsite. Workers are exposed to the elements, so it’s important to take precautions to ensure site and worker safety. Here are some tips from our construction safety consulting company:
- Set up time limits. Make sure you’re not outside for too long during the wintertime. On site safety managers should set time limits so that workers are not exposed to the cold for too long.
- Check the weather. The wind chill can be a real danger, so make sure to check the wind chill daily. If the chill is far too low, consider working only during the warmest parts of the day.
- Inspect everything daily. The on site safety manager should check all equipment, surfaces, and safety requirements daily. OSHA winter safety tips also encourage safety managers or site conductors to remove snow hazards from roofs and work surfaces.
- Keep hydrated. Drinking plenty of water is a crucial element of cold weather construction safety. Coffee can prevent a false sense of warmth, so it’s ideal to stick to water to combat dehydration and hypothermia.
- Dress appropriately. Make sure to wear the right safety gear and cold weather protection. Our construction safety group suggests wearing gloves, boots, layered jackets, and ear coverings, just to name a few. Make sure that your winter gear is not a jobsite safety hazard, such as dangling scarves.
With these winter safety tips for your jobsite you can stay safe and warm. Following tips for cold weather construction safety can help ensure your site is safe, workers are safe, and hazards are minimized. For more tips on your wintertime construction site safety plan, contact our construction safety consulting team at The Safety Group.